Monday, December 16, 2013

Today's featured Etsy shop... Blue Dogs Craft

My name is Hillary and my Etsy shop is called Blue Dogs Craft.

When did you start your Etsy shop?
November 2013


What is the story behind your business name?
Bluedog (actually Bluto, but for some reason we all always called him Bluedog) was a Rotti Shepherd mix we rescued from the pound when he was 3 years old. We had 9 wonderful years with him, and used to say that if we started a business it would be named after him. 


He was a gentle friend for the children, bringing pillows to sick children and tolerating games of horsey, and a fierce protector. He was the smartest and most loyal animal I have ever known, and our business is named in his honor.
 

What do you sell?
We sell hand crafted glycerin soaps, both scented and unscented, as well as Tie Dye t-shirts, lip balms and sometimes jewelry. Our the kids make the jewelry, and keep any of the profits. They make various kinds of bracelets, earrings and necklaces. 


How did you get into your craft?
My wife makes all of the crafts, except for the jewelry. She started by making face masks and lotions out of vegetables she had grown (more than we could eat) in her garden. She started sharing these with friends and family, and started making soaps and shampoos as well. 


While I was working on a website for a local church, one of the pages I was asked to add was a flyer for their local craft fair. It sounded like fun, so we signed up. The kids and I brought soaps, bracelets, lotion bars, lip balms and t-shirts. We didn't quite make enough to cover the cost of the table, but we had a lot of fun together, met some wonderful people and signed up for more. 

Now we sell our products on Etsy, and at local fairs and bazaars, and will soon branch out into selling them at local small businesses. My wife and kids get to make all the crafts they want, I get to meet new people while spending time with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment