Thursday, May 8, 2014

Today's featured Etsy shop... Dragonfly Designs Jewelry

My name is Alix and my Etsy shop is Dragonfly Designs Jewelry.

When did you start your Etsy shop?
December 2012, but didn't add a variety of items until December 2013.

What is the story behind your business name?
I started my business when I was 12 years old. I was going to be selling my jewelry at a local craft festival and my mom told me I should probably have a name for my little business. I've always loved dragonflies for their delicate beauty, so I blurted out "Dragonfly Designs" and it stuck!

What do you sell?
One of a kind, handmade jewelry and hair accessories

How did you get into your craft? 
I have loved crafting and beads for as long as I can remember. When I was little I even made my dad a tie by sewing some pony beads to some wildly printed colorful fabric I had cut into the shape of a tie. He actually put it on and left for work in it sometimes :) When I was in 7th grade, my parents bought me a jewelry-making kit for Christmas. At first, I was terrible, but I always enjoyed it. I developed a love of creatively placing colors, shapes, and textures together and my technique with the pliers improved over time too.

Anything else you would like to share?
One of the most important aspects of my business, for me, is trying to ethically-source my materials. I realized I can't pride myself on being a wonderful local business if I'm purchasing from suppliers who might be abusing workers' rights and the environment. I've spent the last couple of years working to transition my materials to include pendants made in the USA, recycled sterling silver wire, and upcycled and fair trade beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment