Thursday, February 13, 2014

Today's featured Etsy shop... Black Pearl Creations

My name is Joede (pronounced Jodi) and my Etsy shop is Black Pearl Creations.

When did you start your Etsy shop? 

May 7, 2006 on a lark. 

What is the story behind your business name? 

I had another business name in which I won't disclose because of the fear of being sued. At the time, back then, there were several suits against small crafters for the names they chose and I didn't want to be a casuality. 

In an entrepreneur class I participated in, we went over names and I came up with Black Pearl. Many in my class didn't like it but I'm a rebel so I stuck with it. The funny thing is I am now known as Black Pearl and I am Googled by "Black Pearl crochet" quite a bit. 


What do you sell? 

I sell crocheted items. Of course, everyone says their items are not like grandma's and I make the same claim. 
The difference is: when someone wears a Black Pearl Creation design, they are going to get noticed. 

While walking down the street, the fringe on my button scarves are going to flow behind them like wings. While walking away, the cables on their sweater coat and the way it flows in the wind will command attention. 


The spirit of freedom is apparent in my line and the Black Pearl Brand. Breaking from tradition to express oneself is how my shop and brand are unique. Black Pearl Creations' pieces are not for the timid. They are for the Urban Bohemianite. 

How did you get into your craft? 

I started crocheting when living in England. My parents took me to the Nottingham Lace Factory and I was hooked (pun completely intended). 

Anything else you would like to share? 

I'm a 2x breast cancer survivor. Crocheting causes me a lot of discomfort but I ignore it. I'm on my way to opening a brick and mortar as my sales offline are substantial compared to online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment