Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Today's featured Etsy shop... Handmade by the Bay

My name is Courtney and my Etsy shop is Handmade by the Bay.


When did you start your Etsy shop?
November 19th, 2013

What is the story behind your business name?
I had been wanting something related to turtles originally because they have a very important meaning to me. But anyway I digress, none of the names were really clicking, and when I went to make up business cards I wanted to put "Handmade by the bay with love on the shores of Bayport, NY" But when I wrote out Handmade by the Bay, something clicked, and I knew it had to be the name!

What do you sell?
I sell handmade wire-wrapped jewelry made from Great South Bay beach glass hand-picked by me on the shores of my hometown, unique 'fried marble' jewelry and hand-woven recycled t-shirt headbands.

How did you get into your craft? 
It sort of started on accident over a year ago when I came across these adorable t-shirt headbands & needed to learn how to make them. I started making them for friends and family & was actually offered my first craft fair opportunity. But I knew that I couldn't go with just headbands, and I had always made beach glass jewelry so I added that to the mix, and from there it was history!

Anything else you would like to share?
The whole point of my business is to use recycled and upclycled materials to create beautiful jewelry at affordable prices so everyone gets to have a piece of the magic that exists when you have the beach as your backyard. Since starting I have had crazy support from my friends and family and so many wonderful opportunities come my way very quickly such as numerous craft fairs, small boutiques, and even some bridesmaid orders!! It was all of that which pushed me to finally open my etsy and I could not be happier with everyone that has come my way!







No comments:

Post a Comment